woensdag 24 juni 2015

Jiji's Restaurant

The Snootie Foodies went to Jiji's Restaurant after seeing several posts and rave reviews on Facebook about the restaurant.
Jiji's is located at the SMS pier -- upstairs on the right.  It's a nice location with a view of the river or the city depending on which direction your looking.
The restaurant serves Western European style food with a Surinamese twist.
This Snootie Foodie had a delicious carpaccio for an appetizer -- with pine nuts and Parmesan cheese.  It was excellent - best carpaccio I've ever had.  It was thinly sliced and absolutely delicious.  There was a really nice sauce -- really scrumptious.  This was followed by a stuffed chicken breast with some local veggies and cassave.  Again, this too was delicious.  It's hard to make chicken breast and have it not been dry -- this breast was excellent.  The only negative -- the sauce was pretty spicy, but I know that this is a plus for most Surinamese people.


My fellow Snootie Foodie had an order of fries as appetizer -- don't ask, we're special like that.  And she followed this with a delicious fish in a curry coconut sauce.  This was supposed to be shrimp in curry coconut sauce -- they had run out of shrimp though, so she received fish instead.  The fish was fried crispy delicious and the sauce was delicious as before.  It was quite spicy, which she liked, but burned my tongue/ sinuses.  :)




I also had a delicious tamarinde juice while my fellow Foodie opted for a fruity cocktail complete with umbrella.  :)

I didn't take any pictures so I pulled these off FB.

The only negative for the night was the service.  We had a nice young man who was helping us.  For the curry, the menu clearly states that it comes with rice but when it came to the table it was being served with fries.  So we asked the young lady who brought the order -- in reaction she gave us one of the loudest tjoerie (sucking sound made in annoyance) I've ever heard.  She quickly apologized though and stated that the tjoerie was meant for her colleague and not for us.  She then proceeded to call her colleague over and berate him in front of us at the table.  This was definitely a negative for an otherwise great evening.

All in all, I'd go back and I'm sure the food will be equally good.  And I'll just make sure to let the server know whether I want rice or fries or potatoes with my entree.  :)


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten